Thank You, John!

Grace Tools Screwdrivers

There are moments when I a feel truly overwhelmed. One of them was today when I returned home to find a package waiting for me. It was from John Canby, an American I had once gone hunting with for local species of timber near where I live. Inside the box were a set of fabulous wooden handle screwdrivers and a few rolls of blue tape.

I was overwhelmed; I hardly know John; we first met because he was kind enough to carry a few hand tools for me from the US. John works for an oil company that takes him all over the world and is married to an Indian academic.

He and his wife have moved to Mumbai and I will possibly never see John again in my life. Yet, his thoughtfulness about my woodworking needs.

Old style wooden handle screwdrivers have long been on my wish list; I have missed the wooden handle ones of my youth which used to grip so well. And now I have them and that too from one of the finest screwdriver makers in the world, Grace Tools, USA, who are renowned for their gunsmith tools.

Blue tape

Oddly enough, Blue tape too has been high on my wish list ever since I read a blog recommending the use of blue tape in marking dovetails.

In dark tropical woods like Teak a fine knife line or a pencil mark is very difficult to see. Fixing blue tape over the areas that have to be marked such as the end of the pin board makes the cut line clearly visible and therefore easy to cut accurately.

I have tried this method and it works brilliantly. Blue tape, for some strange reason, is not available in India. I had ordered some from China. Now I have lots and lots more.

But more than the blue tape and the screwdrivers, it was John's thoughtfulness that filled me with felicity.

I cannot but add that I have often been amazed by the generosity of the average American, of whom I have encountered several.

Despite the terrible events in America we have been reading about in our newspapers, I am confident that ultimately the large-heartedness and the spirit of fellowship of the average American will prevail. Thank you, John.

Indranil Banerjie
26 February 2017

Comments

  1. Indranil, you are quite welcome. Consider these items as well-earned: I have derived much pleasure from the reading of your blog, and taking hope in that there is some glimmer of DIY & amateur craftsmen in the subcontinent. Regarding the blue tape, one of it's distinct advantages is that it removes easily and does not leave any residue. A cream-colored/yellowish masking tape is available domestically, but I do not know if it has the same no-residue properties.
    Regards,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Indranil. I'm 19 years old and live in Delhi. I've recently developed a liking to woodworking and was wondering if there were any workshops or woodworking classes being hosted anywhere because a lot of power tools and equipment is required, which i don't have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get in touch with Abid Ali at maxtennis2000@yahoo.com

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your message.